Sudden Cardiac Arrest is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths. The PulsePoint app alerts CPR-trained bystanders, like you, to a cardiac emergency in your immediate vicinity, so you can get to the scene and start CPR in the critical lifesaving minutes before EMS teams arrive.
Fast response of paramedics equipped with defibrillators, airway devices, and heart medications give cardiac arrest victims the best chance of survival.
The term Chain of Survival provides a useful metaphor to help improve cardiac arrest patient’s chances of survival and recovery.
The five links in Chain of Survival
- Recognition of cardiac arrest and notification to the 9-1-1 telephone system
- Early CPR with an emphasis on chest compressions
- Early Defibrillation – the delivery of a shock to the heart by using an AED
- Early Advanced Care from highly trained paramedics who can respond to the patient to provide care, prior to the arrival to a hospital
- Advanced life support and post-cardiac arrest care
- Quarterly High Performance CPR refresher training to emergency response crews
- Hands-only CPR and chain of survival education through public outreach
- County-wide support of the PulsePoint app to encourage and support bystander CPR
- High Quality CPR and First Aid training through a contract with Cascade Training